Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Weaving Project. Another Art for All Abilities Project.

I teach a myriad of students.  From the valedictorian to low functioning special education students.  Doing so keeps me on my toes!

And it challenges me to find projects that are inclusive and differentiated for all students.

Weaving is one of those projects!

Recently, I had the opportunity to write for an Education Foundation Grant that paid for the supplies for my weaving project.  That is always a plus!! $500 of unexpected funds for me to purchase looms (traditional and chipboard), yarn and 120 plastic needles!! 

With all projects, there is a learning curve. One of the unexpected learning curves came with the very first task. Students started with a 3"x6" piece of chipboard and they had to MEASURE and CUT every 1/4 inch. This was incredibly difficult for a lot of students!!  What a great reminder to me that one of the jobs of my classroom is to reinforce the "common sense" stuff. The same students that can answer complex math problems, struggled with measuring and cutting precisely at 1/4 inch intervals.  WOW! And they say my class isn't a core class!


The students used the small chipboard looms to practice the fundamentals of weaving. No requirements were given for the little weaving project beyond it had to be filled. This was very doable and not scary.

I am using these small pieces as thank you gifts!!

Then we moved on to the larger chipboard looms.  These were pre-scored. hallelujah.

For the large project, students had to use 6 different types of yarn and 6 different types of stitches.  This is where modifications came in.  Obviously, 6 stitches were not possible for all students.  But every student was able to do the in and out motion with the yarn. Granted, sometimes the in was on one side and the out was 15 strings over, but successful weaving is in and out. right! :) Using the needle was optional.

  
An interesting thing that some of the guys figured out was that using the needle was a drag. It was hard to handle and so forth. But their metal ruler with the hole in the end of it worked perfectly!! How cool is that!!  I will so be using this as a modification in the future!



And then finally, what about the advanced students???  The advanced students were challenged to use the traditional loom and to create a more intricate pattern while still incorporating 6 different stitches and 6 different yarns. 

You want to see the finished products?  Well, they will be on display at the art show in May, so I don't want to ruin the surprise!!  I'll post pictures after the exhibit goes up for all you non-local peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment