Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Sticking around for Success

In all my years teaching, it seems like all I have done was to get the ball rolling, lay a strong foundation and just when things take off, we move.

Let's take a walk down memory lane...

Theatre Teacher in Texas 2 years
Theatre/Speech/Debate in NC 1 1/2 years
Back in Texas...
3rd grade inclusion math and TYC reading teacher 1 semester (plus a miserable summer...)
Theatre/Debate/8th grade reading 1 year
Theatre/Career Investigations/Speech/7th grade writing 1 1/2 years
Theatre Teacher 1 semester
Economics/Debate 2 years

Wow. What a journey. I am absolutely certain that I am a better art teacher because I worked in so many other teaching jobs, in so many different communities. I've taught in big cities and tiny communities; I've taught to the affluent and teenagers in a jail.

Then I finally found my way to Art.

And now, I'm in my 6th year of teaching art. AT THE SAME PLACE! Crazy stuff. And even better, I am here for the successes. I got the ball rolling and laid a great foundation for a program that was to be distinctly MINE and I'm here to see the successes.

It is an amazing feeling!

Yesterday I had six students receive big honors in the art world. One student won 3 Gold Key's at the 2014 Region-At-Large Scholastic Art and Writing Awards and has three pieces in the NATIONAL competition. And he is a Sophomore! Such exciting times.

I have to say, this stability stuff is pretty cool. I've never gotten to see the reward first hand and now I am. It's a heady feeling!

Here are a couple of pictures of some of students and their award winning works!

This first picture was taken back in the fall, but how cool is this, both girls received awards this week. Emma, a 3rd grader had her self portrait (upper left hand corner of the display) chosen  to be included in the Youth Art Month Exhibit at our state capitol. Heather, a senior, had one of her photographs awarded an Honorable Mention at the Scholastic contest.


And her are a few more pictures of my students and their award winning pieces!



I don't have a picture of my student who advanced to the National competition. I'll have to do that tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment